Fraud Awareness Resources

Fraud Awareness news:

themetags office

Asylum seekers from India

Federal government takes out ads in Indian newspapers to warn about costly scams..

Read more
themetags office

Unlicensed Consultants of India

ICCRC department Canada Penalised unlicensed Consultants of India..

Read more
themetags office

Ottawa warns against use of immigration agents in India

Ottawa has launched an information campaign in India...

Read more
themetags office


CBSA and RCMP extradite individual for allegedly counselling many to commit immigration fraud...

Read more

Fraud Awareness Videos

modern desk

Don’t be a Victim of Fraud (ENGLISH)
modern desk

Don’t be a Victim of Fraud (PUNJABI)
modern desk

Fraud Prevention campaign (ENGLISH)
modern desk

Fraud Prevention campaign (PUNJABI)
modern desk

Protect yourself against fraud.

Fraud Stories

modern desk

Marriage Fraud victim


Frequently Asked Questions About Immigration

1. Who is an RCIC?

A Canadian immigration consultant must be licensed and regulated by ICCRC. Known as a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC), an immigration consultant provides assistance to people who seek to immigrate to Canada for the purposes of study, work, travel or permanent relocation. Most RCICs reside in Canada and are permitted to practise abroad. They provide various professional services including preparing the necessary documentation for immigration applications such as visas and study permits. Once in Canada, immigration consultants can provide additional services including assistance with citizenship applications.

Immigration and citizenship representatives: They explain and give advice on your immigration or citizenship options help you choose the best immigration program for you fill out and submit your immigration or citizenship application communicate with the Government of Canada on your behalf represent you in an immigration or citizenship application or hearing advertise that they can give immigration or citizenship advice.

Representatives could be:

  • Citizenship or immigration consultants
  • Lawyers
  • Friends
  • Family Members Or
  • Other Third Parties

You may choose to use a representative to act on your behalf for immigration or citizenship applications with:

  • Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
  • The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada or
  • The Canada Border Services Agency

Authorized paid representatives: Only some people can charge you a fee or receive any other type of payment. These people are called “authorized” representatives. They are:

  • Lawyers and paralegals who are members in good standing of a Canadian provincial or territorial law society
  • Notaries who are members in good standing of the Chambre des notaires du Québec; and
  • Citizenship or immigration consultants who are members in good standing of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council

Canadian government won’t deal with representatives who charge a fee but are not authorized. If you use an unauthorized representative, in Canada or abroad, we may return your application or refuse it.

Remember: if you pay a representative or compensate them in any way in exchange for their services, they are considered paid and they must be authorized.

Unpaid representatives/ Third Parties could be:

  • Family members
  • Friends and
  • Other third parties who do not charge a fee

Beware of fraud

You are responsible for all the information in your application, even if your representative completes it for you.

Beware of representatives who:

Advertise their services as free and later ask you to pay a fee.

Advise you to lie on your application.

It’s against the law to give false or misleading information in your application.

Processing times tell you how long you can expect it will take us to process an application under normal circumstances.

A processing time starts the day we receive an application and ends when we make a decision. If you apply by mail, the time starts when your application arrives in our mailroom. If you apply online or in-person, it starts when you submit your application.

Various factors can affect the processing time including:

  • The type of application submitted.
  • If the application is complete
  • How quickly we process applications we’ve already received
  • How easily we can verify your information
  • How long you take to respond to any request or concerns
  • Other factors

We have an explanation below each processing time for how it’s calculated.

See, “how are processing times calculated?

Completing an Express Entry profile is the first step to immigrate to Canada permanently as a federal skilled worker. You will need to complete an Express Entry profile and meet the minimum criteria to be accepted into the pool.

If you are interested in the Federal Skilled Worker stream, you will need to meet, at minimum, the pass mark of 67 points out of 100 on the Federal Skilled Worker grid.

If you are accepted into the Express Entry pool, you are not guaranteed to receive an Invitation to Apply for permanent residence. An Invitation to Apply for permanent residence will be based on your score and rank in the Express Entry pool using the Comprehensive Ranking System

To be awarded 600 points under the Comprehensive Ranking System for having a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) nomination, you must have a provincial nomination certificate that:

  • Was issued after January 1, 2015,
  • Was issued for a PNP Express Entry stream,
  • Is valid (i.e., not expired) when you submit your application for permanent residence, and,
  • Is accepted in the system by both you and the province or territory.

If you want to immigrate to Canada through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), a Canadian province or territory has to nominate you.

The first thing you need to do is apply to the PNP in the province or territory where you want to settle. To qualify, you must have the skills, education and work experience you will need to settle in Canada and support yourself and your family.

The province or territory will assess if you will be able to meet their economic or labour market needs, and those of Canada. They can tell you how long it will take to process your application.

After the province or territory approves your application, your next step is to apply for permanent residence within the time period they set out. The province or territory will let you know whether you must apply through the Express Entry system or through regular application process:

  • Nomination under an Express Entry PNP stream: If you are not already in the Express Entry pool, you will need to complete an Express Entry profile and be accepted into the pool. You can begin the process by using our Come to Canada tool.

  • OR
  • Nomination under a non-Express Entry PNP stream: Permanent resident applicants who were nominated under a non-Express Entry PNP stream should apply for permanent residence using the regular application process

The selection process and conditions to get a Provincial Nominee Certificate may be different from one province to the next. Check their websites to find out what you need to do before you apply.

Note: The province of Quebec chooses its own immigrants. If you want to live there, contact the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion du Québec.

A visitor visa (also known as a temporary resident visa) is an official document citizens from visa-required countries need to get to travel to and enter Canada as a visitor for up to 6 months.

  • We stick the visitor visa in your passport.
  • It shows that you meet the requirements to enter Canada.
  • It includes the date by which you must arrive in Canada.
  • The date is not an expiry date for your stay in Canada
  • If you apply for a study or work permit for the first time, you’ll automatically get a visitor visa when we approve your application.

A visitor record is a document that a border services officer may issue to you to extend or restrict your stay in Canada. If you want to stay in Canada for more than 6 months, you have to tell the border services officer.

You may also get a visitor record after we approve your application to extend your stay or restore your status. A visitor record is issued either by the Canada Border Services Agency or Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

You need to apply for a visitor record when:

  • You first arrive at the port of entry and you know you want to stay longer than 6 months; or
  • You’re in Canada and decide you want to stay longer.
  • You must apply at least 30 days before your authorized stay in Canada expires.
  • It’s an independent document (not placed in your passport).
  • It includes an expiry date for your stay in Canada.
  • That’s the date by which you must leave Canada.

Apply as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance. The times needed to process your application may vary among visa offices. Check our application processing times for details.

Current undertaking: Refers to the sponsorship application you are currently preparing.

Previous undertakings: Refers to sponsorship applications you are or were involved with, either as a sponsor or co-signer, where the applicants were granted permanent residence as a result of the application.

Applications that were returned, rejected or never submitted are not considered as “previous undertakings”.

Undertaking still in effect:

  • The sponsorship application was approved,
  • The persons you sponsored or co-signed for became permanent residents as a result of the sponsorship application, and
  • The undertaking has not yet expired.

Undertaking not yet in effect:

  • You are in the process of submitting another sponsorship application or a sponsorship application you submitted is being processed.
  • The persons you are sponsoring are not yet permanent residents,
  • Depending on the decision on your application, you might become financially responsible for the persons included in the sponsorship.